NCTM Illuminations has an excellent PDF based resource on using the area model to teach both the distributive property and factoring out the greatest common factor. I used this resource frequently during the six years I taught Algebra 1.
One year, several of my students really appreciated this structure for working out their problems. I ended up creating a sheet of blank area models for them to use as an organization tool.
Instead of just letting this file sit on my hard drive like it has since I created it back in 2014, I decided I should share it with the world in case someone else’s students might benefit from it.
Free Download of Blank Area Models
More Activities and Resources for Teaching the Distributive Property
- Area Model for Teaching Distributive Property and Factoring
- “One Incorrect” Distributive Property Activity
- Distributive Property Question Stack Activity
- Distributive Property Foldable
- Distributive Property Practice Problems
- Reviewing the Distributive Property
- 4 Types of Distributive Property Foldable
- Teaching the Distributive Property using Combo Meals