This year, I combined combining like terms and the distributive property as a skill in Algebra 1. I think I need to split these up into two separate skills in the future. My distributive property notes aren’t the most exciting thing in the world. No pretty graphic organizer or foldable. 🙁
Describing the Distributive Property
I gave them four expressions and asked what number should be distributed in each. I was trying to combat the tendency I’ve seen in previous years to distribute a number that is separated from the parentheses with an addition or subtraction sign.
I can definitely see making this into a card sort next year!
Then, some old-fashioned practice problems.
More Activities and Resources for Teaching the Distributive Property
- Area Model for Teaching Distributive Property and Factoring
- “One Incorrect” Distributive Property Activity
- Distributive Property Question Stack Activity
- Distributive Property Foldable
- Distributive Property Practice Problems
- Reviewing the Distributive Property
- 4 Types of Distributive Property Foldable
- Teaching the Distributive Property using Combo Meals