After creating our own individual magnets, my statistics class used them to complete this dot plot of the day activity. For an entire week, we created a dot plot at the beginning of each class period. Then students practiced writing a short paragraph to describe the data’s distribution.
I only see my students four days a week since we have asynchronous distance learning days each Monday. So, the dot plot of the day template I used with my students only had space for four prompts. I also created a five day template in case you have a more normal school week.
Here are some examples of the prompts I used with my students. We had a lot of fun with this activity in statistics.
How many years have you attended Coweta Public Schools?
This is a nice prompt if you are looking to create a skewed data set! Of course, you would need to insert your own school district’s name…
What is your European Shoe Size?
I use European shoe size because it is the same for men and women. We always have a discussion about how if we used American shoe sizes that we would have to create separate dot plots for each gender.
How many different houses/apartments have you lived in?
How many concerts have you attended?
Check out this outlier! We had to make the student list off all the concerts he had attended!
Free Download of Dot Plot of the Day Activity
Dot Plot of the Day (PDF) (701 downloads)
Dot Plot of the Day (Editable Publisher File ZIP) (315 downloads)
More Ideas for Teaching Quantitative Data Displays
- Tenzi Data Collection Activity for Comparing Data Sets
- Dot Plot of the Day Activity
- Design Your Own Dot Plot Magnets Activity
- How Many States Have You Visited Map
- Dotplot Matching – A Desmos Card Sort Activity for Statistics
- Count the Objects Task for Data Collection
- Analyzing the Ages of Academy Award Winners
- Are your graphs OK? TULSA Graphing Posters
- Highlights Hidden Pictures Activity for Comparing Data Sets
- Blind Stork Test for Data Collection
- Dry Erase Workmat for Finding Five Number Summary, IQR, and Outliers
- Estimating 30 Seconds Data Collection Activity
- Types of Data Displays Foldable
- Kentucky Derby Winning Times