I used the blank template I created to create a new set of speed dating cards for a different topic: graphing solutions on a number line.
Here’s my newly designed version using Avery printable business cards.
The backs of the cards have the answer printed so partners can easily check each other’s work.
These cards test that students know how to graph the following types of solutions on a number line:
- is equal to
- is not equal to
- is greater than or equal to
- is greater than
- is less than or equal to
- is less than
So, how does speed dating work?
- Create a deck of cards that has a question on one side and the answer on the other side.
- Pass out the cards to students with the question side facing up.
- Instruct each student to solve the problem in front of them before checking their answer by flipping the card over.
- Have students stand up and find a partner.
- Students take turns quizzing their partner and coaching/praising them.
- Once the pair has successfully answered both questions, the partners should trade cards.
- Find a new partner.
So, why is it called speed dating?
In speed dating, the goal is to meet as many people as possible in as little time as possible. At the end of each “mini date,” you trade information in case you later decide you want to get in contact. My high school students normally love the analogy. If you don’t think your students can handle the dating analogy, you can call this activity it’s other common name: Quiz, Quiz, Trade.
Here are a couple of action shots from the day we used these in class:
If you don’t have access to printable business cards, you could print them and cut off the excess margins before cutting the cards apart.
Free Download of Graphing Solutions on a Number Line Speed Dating Activity
More Activities for Teaching One Variable Inequalities
- Solving Equations/Inequalities with Variables on Both Sides Graphic Organizers
- Compound Inequalities Graphic Organizers
- Solving Equations/Inequalities with Variables On One Side Graphic Organizers
- Inequalities Investigation
- Graphing Solutions on a Number Line Speed Dating Activity
- One Variable Inequalities Card Sort Activity
- Compound Inequalities Foldable
- Reviewing One Variable Inequalities
- One Variable Inequalities Square Puzzle Activity
- Graphing Inequalities Foldable
- Inequalities Foldables