This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. This comes at no cost to you. Thanks for your support of Math = Love!
Since my non-standard operations sorting card activity was such a hit with my Algebra 1 students, I decided to use the same practice structure to make an activity for my students to get extra practice with solving equations with variables on both sides.
I created a deck of 12 cards. Each card contained an equation with variables on both sides and a special symbol.
When the 12 equations are solved, they can be placed into four groups of three cards each. Each card in the group will have the exact same solution. I like this structure because it helps students check their work and builds confidence all at the same time. If students end up with five or more groups, they know to re-check the problems in the groups that had the least cards in them.
I printed these cards on pretty pink paper and laminated each set.
MATH = LOVE RECOMMENDS…
A laminator is a MUST-HAVE for me as a math teacher! I spent my first six years as a teacher at a school with a broken laminator, so I had to find a way to laminate things myself.
I’ve had several laminators over the years. I currently use a Scotch laminator at home and a Swingline laminator at school.
I highly recommend splurging a bit on the actual laminator and buying the cheapest laminating pouches you can find!
I also created an answer key sheet that lets me quickly check a group’s work to see if their groupings are correct.
Free Download of Solving Equations with Variables on Both Sides Sorting Activity
Sorting Cards – Variables on Both Sides of Equation (PDF) (2650 downloads)
Sorting Cards – Variables on Both Sides of Equation (Editable Publisher File – ZIP) (846 downloads)
More Resources for Teaching Solving Equations
- Dry Erase Template for Solving Equations Graphically
- Balancing Act Puzzles
- Roots Solutions Zeros X-Intercepts Posters
- Graphing Solutions on a Number Line Speed Dating Activity
- Solving Equations Using Inverse Operations Foldable
- Expression Equation Inequality Foldable
- Using Equations to Solve Word Problems Foldable
- 3 Essential Rules of Math for Solving Equations
- Using Scales to Model Solving Equations with Variables on Both Sides
- DO UNDO Method for Solving Equations Foldable
- Inverse Operations Graphic Organizer
- Solving Equations Flowchart Foldable
- Five Easy Pieces Activity
- Solving Equations Auction Review Game
- Basketball Game for Solving Two Step Equations
- Flow Chart for Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Snowball Fight – Solving Equations Activity
- Solving One Step Equations Foldable
Saturday 21st of October 2017
Thank you for sharing your ideas towards creatively teaching Mathematics. As a newbie in the field, this initiative really helped me a lot. I would love to emulate the activities you've been sharing.