Several years ago, a summer workshop I was part of was centered around learning to write problem based assessments for math class. The group I was in was tasked with writing an Algebra 2 level PBA. My group chose to write our assessment over logarithms.
Here’s the Logarithms Problem Based Assessment that my group came up with. We were inspired to make our assessment earthquake themed because Oklahoma had recently been experiencing a great uptick in earthquakes.
Download – Logarithms Problem Based Assessment
Earthquake PBA (PDF) (721 downloads)
More Activities for Teaching Logarithms
- Swap Two – A Logarithms Task
- Exponents Chart (Powers of 2 to 9)
- Earthquakes and Explosions – a Logarithms Problem Based Assessment (PBA)
- Amy Gruen’s Exponent Puzzles
- Solving Logarithmic Equations Foldable
- Converting Between Exponential and Logarithmic Form Foldable
- Logarithm Tarsia Puzzle Activity
- The Case of the Cooling Corpse Task
- Change of Base Formula Notes
- Properties of Logarithms Foldable
- Logarithms Foldable
- Logarithm Bingo Activity
Thursday 14th of January 2021
How do you get the data of TNT and Richter scale? Is it real or is it invented? In the first case, which is your reference?
Monday 5th of April 2021
I know we sourced the data from somewhere, but unfortunately I didn't think ahead and record the source. I now know better. I tried searching to see if I could find it (I'm 99% sure we found the data online), but I couldn't find it. Sorry!