I created this solving systems by substitution graphic organizer for my Algebra 1 students to use in their interactive notebooks.
This graphic organizer walks students through the steps of solving a system of equations by substitution.
Here’s a closer look at the word problems we tackled for substitution. We ended up solving four different word problems.
My students kept wanting to use the variables they had defined in their final solution sentences. I had to keep telling them to write a sentence that would make their English teacher happy. I told them I doubted that their English teacher would want to see a variable and an equal sign in their equation!
For the last word problem, I made my students write their own system of equations to match the scenario.
We followed this up with very similar graphic organizers for solving systems by elimination.
Free Download of Solving Systems by Substitution Graphic Organizer
More Resources for Teaching Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Balancing Act Puzzles
- All Tied Up In Knots Systems of Equations Exploration Activity
- Solving Systems by Graphing Foldable
- Solving Systems by Elimination Graphic Organizer
- Solving Systems by Substitution Graphic Organizer
- Acrobats Grandmas and Ivan Systems of Equations Task
- Blank Graphic Organizers for Solving Systems of Equations Algebrically
- Writing Systems of Equations Foldable
- How Tall is Harold? Systems of Quadratics Task
- Systems of Equations Foldable