Check out this Always Sometimes Never Activity for Mean, Median, Mode, & Range. This was the perfect way to review the measures of central tendency with my Algebra 1 students.
I used this activity as a last-minute review before our quiz over finding measures of central tendency.
I gave students this set of 11 problems. They were allowed to pair up to work through the problems. I set a timer on my phone for 5 minutes. Students worked in pairs without any help from me during these 5 minutes.
After the timer went off, we went through each problem. Groups shared their initial thinking, then the disagreements started! I love when my students disagree in math class because it means they are thinking and explaining their thinking.
It was awesome to see students change their minds as their fellow students shared sets of numbers that disproved their hypotheses.
I definitely want to incorporate this practice structure into my classroom on a more regular basis.
One of my twitter friends suggested that I set up three sections of the room to signify Always, Sometimes, and Never. Instead of having students simply say their answers, they have to physically move to stand in the section that represents their thinking. Then, students share their thinking. Students continue to share their thinking until the class comes to a consensus and is standing in the same area. Doesn’t that sound awesome?!?
These Always, Sometimes, Never statements are not original. I found them on page 135 of this PDF (SORRY EXPIRED LINK). I will probably modify the questions before using them again. My students were quite miffed that there ended up being so many “Sometimes” as the correct answer!
Free Download of Always Sometimes Never Activity for Mean, Median, Mode, & Range
Always Sometimes Never – Mean Median Mode Range (PDF) (342 downloads)
Always Sometimes Never – Mean Median Mode Range (Editable Publisher File ZIP) (176 downloads)
More Activities for Teaching Statistics
- 53 Fun and Interesting Statistics Activities
- Mean Median Mode & Range Challenge Activity
- Linear Regression Tutorials
- Dry Erase Workmat for Finding Five Number Summary, IQR, and Outliers
- Tenzi vs Splitzi Measures of Central Tendency Activity
- Measures of Central Tendency Graphic Organizers
- Statistics Interactive Notebook Pages 2015-2016
- Statistics Survey Project
- Best Line of Best Fit Contest
- Let’s Make a Graph Activity
- Hiring Discrimination Simulation for Statistics
- Game of Greed Statistics Foldable