We started our Describing Graphs Unit in Algebra 2 by playing some domain and range pictionary.
I used the domain and range graphing cards from Zero-Knowledge Proofs. I gave each student two pages of cards to cut apart and keep in their notebook. My students were surprisingly impressed by the small pocket we created to keep the cards in.
I had the students break up into pairs. One student’s job was to be the describer. The other student was the drawer. I gave students one minute to describe the graph to their partner. It was quite enlightening to just walk around the room and listen to the vocabulary my students were using. I was hoping to hear students discussing the domain, range, x-intercepts, or y-intercepts. I hadn’t introduced these terms yet, but I was hoping that they had been introduced to these concepts in Algebra 1. I didn’t hear any of these specific terms, but I did get extremely excited when I heard a student use the word “quadrant.”
In the future, I would let students play this game again at the end of the unit to show them how much they had grown.
After playing Domain and Range pictionary, we created a foldable to summarize the different types of notation for domain and range.
After creating the foldable, we wrote the domain and range of the back of each of the graphs from our set of pictionary cards. I intended for my students to be able to use these as flashcards, but I never specifically instructed them use them as such in class.
More Activities for Teaching Domain and Range
- Set and Interval Notation Dry Erase Template
- Build a Function Activity
- Domain and Range Challenge Activity
- Sketch a Graph Activity
- Inequality and Interval Notation Chart
- Key Features of Functions Work Mat
- Find the Flubs Activity – Set and Interval Notation
- Domain and Range Restrictions Foldable
- Domain and Range Foldables
- Domain and Range Graphic Organizer DIXI ROYD
- Domain and Range Foldables (DIXI ROYD)
- Algebra 2 Domain and Range Foldable
- Drawing Boxes for Domain and Range
- Domain and Range Graphic Organizer
- Interactive Domain and Range Foldable
- DIX ROY Acronym for Domain and Range
- Domain and Range Pictionary Activity
- Notation for Domain and Range Foldable