This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. This comes at no cost to you. Thanks for your support of Math = Love!
I created this hole punch activity to give my Algebra 1 students practice finding rate of change from a graph. When I teach Algebra 1, I intentionally avoid using the word “slope” for as long as possible.
I printed off a bunch of practice questions for students to complete inside our dry erase pockets.
MATH = LOVE RECOMMENDS…
I cannot imagine teaching math without my dry erase pockets! They instantly make any activity more engaging and save me countless hours at the copy machine since I can use the same class sets of copies year after year.
Here are my current go-to recommendations:
If you don’t have a classroom set of dry erase pockets, you could also use heavy duty sheet protectors. But, I highly recommend investing in a classroom set of the pockets since they are so much more durable.
During first period, students had trouble remembering which of the 8 problems they had already completed. So, I made a hole punch accountability card for the rest of my Algebra 1 classes.
I simply typed up the name of the 8 scenarios we were finding the rate of change for in a small table.
Groups earned a hole punch after getting each answer verified.
My students treated this as a game even though it wasn’t meant as one.
I designed the dry erase template to walk students through the different steps of finding the rate of change from a graph.
First, identify the independent and dependent variables. Then, identify two points from the graph to add to your table. Now, you can easily find the change in the dependent variable and the change in the independent variable to plug into the formula for rate of change.
If I were to do this again, I would add one more step to the template – write a complete sentence describing the rate of change in context.
Free Download of Rate of Change Hole Punch Activity
Rate of Change Dry Erase Practice (PDF) (1315 downloads)
Rate of Change Dry Erase Practice (Editable Publisher File ZIP) (480 downloads)
Rate of Change Hole Punch Cards (PDF) (868 downloads)
Rate of Change Hole Punch Cards (Editable Publisher File ZIP) (322 downloads)
More Activities for Teaching Slope
- Average Rate of Change Self-Checking Question Stack Activity
- Finding Rate of Change from a Graph Hole Punch Activity
- Slope Treasure Hunt Activity
- Calculating Slope and Intercepts Foldable
- Finding Slope Foldable
- Four Types of Slope Graphic Organizer
- Rate of Change Interpreting Graphs Practice
- Rate of Change Graphic Organizer and Practice Problems
- Finding Slope and Intercepts Foldable
- Interpreting Slope and Intercepts Foldable
- Calculating Rate of Change from a Graph Practice Book
- Crow and the Pitcher Activity for Introducing Rate of Change
- Calculating Rate of Change from a Table or Set of Points Practice Book
- The Adventures of Slope Dude Posters
- Slope Dude Says
- Finding Slope from a Table or Set of Points Notes
- Slope Concept Map
- Finding Slope from a Graph Graphic Organizer
- Interpreting Slope from a Graph or Table Practice Book
- WWSDS What Would Slope Dude Say Posters
- Slope Art Assignment
- Four Types of Slope Foldable
- Four Cars Task for Introducing Rate of Change
- Slope and Intercept Practice Poof Book
- Four Types of Slope Name Art Activity
- Rate of Change Graphic Organizer
- Rise Over Run Reminders
- Slope Between Two Points – Around the Room Practice Activity
- Four Types of Slope Pictures
- Slope Foldable
- Slope Tree Method for Teaching 4 Types of Slope
Tuesday 20th of February 2018
Interesting blog and I really like your work and must appreciate you work for the ph testing drops well done. ph testing drops