I wanted a way to make practicing this a little more fun because I have to be honest: this isn’t the most exhilarating Algebra 2 topic to teach.
I spotted some foam dice in my room and ended up coming up with this activity.
I wrote up a list of functions that I thought would operate well with one another.
I think I had to end up adding a few more random ones to have enough for all of the students in my class. These ended up being written on colored index cards.
I gave each student a card and asked them to pair up. Each pair also got a foam die and this recording sheet.
Each pair had to decide which function to make f(x) and which function to make g(x). Then, they rolled the foam die to determine which function operation they would have to complete. Let’s just say they got very, very aggravated when they rolled a six!
The blank box to the right of f(x) and g(x) was meant to write the operation they were completing. The large box was meant to show their work. And the small, skinny box was meant to record the final answer.
As students finished a problem, they raised their hands and had them checked/stamped. Once their work was checked, the students traded index cards and found a new partner.
For the record, high school students get super excited about stamps!
If I were to do this again, I would give them more problems to do because some students ended up avoiding multiplication or division.
I would also have them roll a die and evaluate the final function at that value.
Free Download of Operations with Functions Dice Practice Activity
More Activities for Teaching Functions
- Set and Interval Notation Dry Erase Template
- Pinwheels for Peace 2019
- Build a Function Activity
- Domain and Range Challenge Activity
- Sketch a Graph Activity
- Inequality and Interval Notation Chart
- Key Features of Functions Work Mat
- Find the Flubs Activity – Set and Interval Notation
- Domain and Range Restrictions Foldable
- Domain and Range Foldables
- Domain and Range Graphic Organizer DIXI ROYD
- Independent vs Dependent Variables Foldable
- Function Frayer Model
- Function Notation Puzzler
- Evaluating Functions from a Table Notes
- Evaluating Functions from a Graph Notes
- Evaluating Functions from an Equation Notes
- Graphing Functions Using Input/Output Tables Foldable
- Writing Functions Foldable
- Popcorn Graphs Activity
- Graphing Stories Foldable
- Discrete vs Continuous Functions Foldable
- Evaluating Functions Spider Puzzles
- Function vs Not a Function Card Sort Activity
- Function Machines Activity from CPM
- “Win Some Cash!” Task
- Function Activities from CPM Workshop
- Evaluating Functions Puzzle Activity
- Function vs Not a Function Puzzle Activity
- Function Auction Activity
- Evaluating Functions War
- Algebra 2 Graphing Equations Foldable
- Algebra 2 Domain and Range Foldable
- Increasing and Decreasing Intervals Foldable
- Finding the Max or Min of a Graph [TI-84 Instructions]
- Finding Maximums and Minimums Practice Book
- Finding Intercepts with the Calculator Practice Book
- Finding Equations of Inverses Foldable
- Sketching the Inverse of a Graph [TI-84 Steps]
- Two Truths and a Lie: Parent Functions
- Operations with Functions Dice Practice Activity
- Operations with Functions Foldable
- Finding X-intercepts of a Graph [TI-84 Instructions]
- Finding the Y-intercept of a Graph [TI-84 Instructions]
- Drawing Boxes for Domain and Range
- Composition of Functions Foldable
- Sketching Inverses Practice Book
- Graphing and Describing Functions Worksheet
- Parent Functions Card Sort Activity
- Evaluating Functions Notes
- Justifying Function or Not a Function Notes
- Graphing Functions on the Coordinate Plane Graphic Organizer
- Function Machines and Function Notation Foldable
- Function Transformations Foldable
- Relations, Functions, and Dating Advice
- Describing Characteristics of Graphs Foldable
- Interactive Domain and Range Foldable
- DIX ROY Acronym for Domain and Range
- Finding the Inverse of a Function Foldable
- Characteristics of Graphs & Functions Foldable
- Domain and Range Pictionary Activity
- Notation for Domain and Range Foldable