Check out these 12 fun and engaging periodic table activities I have used both with my physical science and chemistry classes over the years!
Activities for Learning the Names and Symbols for the Elements
This quiz is perfect for the beginning of any unit on the periodic table. Test your students to see how many elements they can name!
My chemistry students are taking weekly element quizzes until we have the symbols of the first 36 elements memorized. A couple of weeks ago, we played a few rounds of Element Bingo to give them practice remembering the symbols for each element.
Want to give your students weekly element quizzes to test their knowledge of chemical symbols? Check out this template I made in excel to generate as many versions as you want!
I recently assigned my physical science students a Periodic Table License Plate Project.
Understanding the Periodic Table
I created this How the Periodic Table Really Looks Activity a few years ago when I was teaching chemistry. I wanted my chemistry students to understand that our modern day periodic table is structured the way it is because we want it to print nicely and be easily readable.
I created this periodic table poster several years ago. I used it both when I taught physical science and chemistry. Click below for a free download!
Since my physical science students are working through their first chemistry unit, I created a foldable to summarize how to read the periodic table.
I was really inspired by this Periodic Table of the Elements Project I saw in a classroom while attending Ed Camp Tulsa. Periodic Table of the Elements Project Each student was assigned a different element to research.
At first glance, it looks like a regular periodic table, but there are actually 25 mistakes hidden within the table. Can you and your students find them all?
Comparing Elements using the Periodic Table
I created this odd one out chemistry activity to give my students practice determining how the placement of an element on the periodic table tells us about how an element will likely behave.
Which element will win the Periodic Table Tournament? My students had a blast with this activity!
I created this Periodic Table War game to give my students more practice becoming familiar with the periodic table.
More Activities for Teaching Science
- 26 Chemistry Foldables and Interactive Notebook Pages
- Borax Snowflake Christmas Ornaments
- How the Periodic Table Really Looks Activity
- Mix and Match Mass Mini Lab
- Spot the Safety Hazards Picture
- Draw an Atom: Before and After Activity
- Save Fred Activity
- Reviewing Observations and Inferences with Dinosaurs
- Chemical Accidents Lab Safety Activity
- Physical vs Chemical Changes Story
- Spot the Safety Hazards Story
- What Not to Do Laboratory
- Measurement Puzzlers
- Homogeneous vs Heterogeneous Color Coding Activity
- Chemistry Frayer Model
- How to Read the Periodic Table Poster
- Roman Numerals Poster
- Two Buckets Puzzle
- Ice Cream in a Bag Lab
- Covalent Compounds Bulletin Board
- Naming Compounds Manhunt Activity
- Atomic Theory Timeline Foldable Projects
- Conversation Hearts Lab for Valentine’s Day
- How Big is the Nucleus of an Atom?
- Chemistry Black Box Activity
- Metric Prefix Flashcards and Quiz
- Dimensional Analysis Shape Cards Activity
- Film Canister Density Challenge
- Element Quiz Generator
- Element Bingo Activity
- Substances vs Mixtures Sorting Activity
- Free Scientific Method Posters from Scholastic
- How Many Elements Can You Name Quiz
- Types of Chemical Research Foldable
- Branches of Chemistry Foldable
- States of Matter Foldable
- Matter vs Not Matter Card Sort Activity
- What is Chemistry? Mind Mapping Activity
- SI Units Posters
- Creating my Own Chemistry Certification Study Guide
- Periodic Table of Mistakes Dry Erase Activity
- Rube Goldberg Machine Projects
- Mole Poster – Avogadro’s Number
- Diatomic Elements BrINClHOF Poster
- Prefixes Poster for Naming Covalent Compounds
- Mini Metric Olympics Activity
- Significant Figures Poster Project
- Hit the Target Lab
- Arithmetic with Significant Figures Task Cards
- Significant Figures Ordering Cards Activity
- Significant Figures Looping Cards Activity
- Significant Figures Stations Activities
- Significant Figures Two Truths and a Lie Activity
- Mini-Labs for Calculating Error and Percent Error
- Scientific Notation Dominoes Activity
- Scientifico – A Bingo Style Game for Practicing Scientific Notation
- Scientific Notation Square Puzzle Activity
- Scientific Notation Activities and Games
- Significant Figures Speed Dating Activity
- Accuracy vs Precision Posters
- Significant Figures Posters
- Scientific Notation Ordering Cards Activity
- Scientific Notation Ranking Task
- Scientific Notation Foldable
- Scientific Notation Graphic Organizer
- Accuracy vs Precision Graphic Organizer
- Giantburgers Scientific Notation Task
- Error and Percent Error Foldable
- Mole Day Decorations and Ideas
- Periodic Table of the Elements Project